The All Kerala Joint Christian Temperance Movement (Started in 1961 by all the Christian Bishops of Kerala) was in the forefront of the crusade against Alcoholism and Drug addiction through its various diocesan and parish level units in almost all Christian churches in Kerala. During the 80s the leaders of the movement especially Mar Joseph Pallikaprampil, Bishop of Palai (Patron of TRADA), the Metropolitan of the Mar Thoma Church, Rev. Fr. George Kolath the then General Secretary of the Temperance Movement and Sr. Dr. Joan Chunkapura MMS , the present Secretary of TRADA felt the urgent need for starting treatment Centres for the addicted persons. Thus the charitable organisation (Reg. No.K.523/87) Total Response to Alcohol and Drug Abuse (TRADA) was started on September 7, 1987 for the treatment of Addiction and for awareness creation among the public about Addiction.
The vision of this organisation is an addiction, AIDS and domestic violence free society.
Our mission is to train psychologists, social workers and counsellors with personal integration and professional competence, to provide contextually relevant, socially inclusive and acceptable mental healthcare support to all in need.
The present Office Bearers:
PATRON : Mar Jacob Muriken
VICE PRESIDENT : Fr Mathew Kizhakkearnjaniyil
SECRETARY : Sr. Dr. Joan Chunkapura M.M.S
JOINT DIRECTOR : Rev. Fr. Reji Koodarathil
TREASURER : Dr. Sabu De Mathew
ADMINISTRATOR : Mr. Koshy Mathew
TRADA INTEGRATED REHABILITATION CENTRE FOR ADDICTS (TRADA IRCA)
Spon. by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India
The 15 bedded treatment and rehabilitation centre is sponsored by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment Govt. of India. We follow a Holistic approach in the care and treatment of addicts by evaluating their psycho-social, emotional, physical, employment and family needs.
The treatment period is 31 days with medical and psychiatric Care, Counselling and other CBT therapies like Relaxation therapy, Therapueutic community, group and family therapies, daily Yoga classes, A.A. classes etc.
After discharge, thorough follow-up is recommended. If further rehabilitation is needed, the patients are referred to other rehabilitation centres.
TRADA INSTITUTE OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
(A MINORITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION COVERED UNDER SECTION 2(g) OF THE NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR MINORITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ACT, 2004.)
The training wing of TRADA was started in 1990 with Sr. Dr. Joan Chunkapura MMS as its Principal to train people in addiction treatment, counselling, mental health and social work. Since 2004, we are offering various PG Degree’s & PG Diploma Programmes under Martin Luther Christian University Shillong, Christian Medical Association of India New Delhi & State Resource centre Kerala.
Vision : Excellence and Service”
Mission : TRADA Institute tunes psychologists, counsellors and social workers with personal integration and professional competence. Through them, we want to provide contextually relevant, socially inclusive, affordable and acceptable menal healthcare support to all in need.
P.G DIPLOMA COURSES ACCREDITED BY MARTIN LUTHER CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY,SHILLONG
Eligibility: Any Bachelors Degree including B.D/B.Th( Plus Two or Equivalent compulsory)
- P.G. Diploma in Counselling & Addiction Therapies (LE)
- P.G. Diploma in Counselling Psychology (LE)
- P.G. Diploma in Social Work (LE)
- P.G. Diploma in School Counselling
- P.G. Diploma in Family Counselling
- P.G. Diploma in Christian Management & Administration
- P.G. Diploma in Disability Management
- P.G. Diploma in Rehabilitation & Disaster Management
NB : LE Courses Scope for lateral entry to M.S.W & M.Sc. Counselling Psychology under M.L.C.U
CERTIFICATE COURSES ACCREDITED BY MARTIN LUTHER CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY,SHILLONG
Qualification: Plus Two pass or equivalent
- Certificate course in Addiction Management
- Certificate course in Applied Therapies in CBT for Distress Management
- Certificate course in Emotional regulation and grief work using Gestalt
- Certificate course in Transactional Analysis to change personality and strengthen relationship
- Certificate course in Student Counselling and Life Skill Training
- Certificate course in Positive Psychology for Stress Management and Happy Living
PG DIPLOMA COURSES UNDER CMAI (Christian Medical Association of India Courses),New Delhi
- P.G. DIPLOMA IN COUNSELLING AND ADDICTION THERAPIES
- P.G. DIPLOMA IN MARRIAGE COUNSELLING AND FAMILY LIFE EDUCATION
- P.G. DIPLOMA IN HUMAN RESOURCE DEVOLOPMENT IN COUNSELLING SKILLS
- P.G. DIPLOMA IN PALLIATIVE CARE , CHAPLAINCY AND PASTORAL COUNSELLINg
CERTIFICATE COURSES UNDER CMAI (Christian Medical Association of India Courses),New Delhi Human Resource Development in Counselling Skills (5 months Course ,Saturdays only)
DIPLOMA & CERTIFICATE COURSES UNDER STATE RESOURCE CENTER (SRC), KERALA
Under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India
- DIPLOMA IN COUNSELLING PSYCHOLOGY (DCP) – One Year
- Certificate in Counselling Psychology (CCP) -Six Months
OTHER MAJOR ACTIVITIES OF TRADA
- Treatment, counselling and Rehabilitation of addicts
- Intervention/Awareness generation in the field where there is more high risk persons involved
- Camp method of de-addiction treatment in order to motivate alcoholics to undergo treatment for de-addiction
- Conducting Rural camps and Free Medical camps at needy areas specially at the Tribal area
- School Counselling
- Training of Trainers in detoxification, counselling and rehabilitation of addicts
- Training of youth in schools and colleges through conferences, workshops and seminars.
- Placement training services for students MSW, Counselling, Psychology, Nursing, Mental health students
- Home based Palliative Care is being carried out in collaboration with Local Panchayat and Mother Palliative Care Unit
- Participation in Prohibition movements against alcohol production, sale and use
- Women Empowerment in the areas of health, education, participation
- Conducting State Conference on Family, Children, Mental Health, HIV/AIDS, Addiction and on current issues
- Collaboration with other like minded agencies to prevent alcoholism, drug addiction, HIV/AIDS etc.
- Publication of books and literatures on addiction counselling and related issues
- Training & Research